Tomato and Onion Cod Fillets
• 6 (4-6 oz) portions of cod
• Cooking spray or 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
• ½ tablespoon kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 cup of grape tomatoes, quartered
• 1 medium white or yellow onion, sliced
• 3 cloves of garlic, minced
• Cilantro, dried or fresh
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Spray with cooking spray or coat with olive oil a baking dish.
3. Place the fish in a large colander and rinse under cold running water and place in the prepared baking dish. Season the fish on both sides with cooking spray or half of the olive oil, half of the kosher salt, half of the black pepper. Set aside until needed.
4. In a mixing bowl, toss together the tomatoes, onions, garlic, remaining olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper.
5. Place the fish in a baking dish and pour tomato mixture over the top. Sprinkle the top with the cilantro. if using fresh cilantro, wait to top until the last 5 minutes of baking.
6. Place the fish in the oven and bake until the juices run clear and the onions are beginning to crisp and slightly blacken along the edges, about 20 minutes.
Shortcuts: Use the already portioned frozen cod fillets. Use the canned already seasoned diced tomatoes in place of the grape tomatoes.
Serving Tip: Layer this lean protein over sautéed spinach and mushrooms and pair with your favorite starch or grain and a salad for a delicious meal. Enjoy!